Fair Fare

When people find out that I am a dietitian, they always ask me what I eat.  I guess its similar to asking a dermatologist what her favorite potions and lotions are for her face or a trainer what his or her workout routine is.  I respond that I eat most everything in moderation, but I am not a big fan of pork products, especially pork rinds. Lima beans are tough for me and green peppers on a pizza are not my vegetable of choice as a topping. I can be a committed vegan, but if you occasionally ask me out for chicken wings, I will not fight you on it.I teach moderation in eating to all my clients, no matter the diagnosis. The strategy comes as a pleasant surprise to my families that are overweight or obese and want to make lifestyle changes, but are afraid I will never let them eat ice cream again. Deprivation is a recipe for disaster; moderation is the key.  Allow me to personally illustrate the eating principle of moderation.  My husband and I took the kids to the Orange County Fair on Sunday.  You are probably aware that summer fairs in America are not synonymous with health.  Anything that can be fried, coated and colored is fried, coated and colored. I am going to disclose our menu, but will preface this by saying we did NOT chew and swallow all of this food. We ordered lots of food to taste because this is what everyone does at their state fairs, right?

Here goes:

1.) Fried avocado

2.) Chicken strips and fries (the kids shared this entree)

3.) Krispy Kreme donut served as bun for fried chicken (a friend had told us about this one. My husband ordered it and would tell you he enjoyed it)

4.) Fried butter

5.) Cotton candy

6.) Ice cream

If you are reading my menu and were trying to decide whether you wanted to make an appointment, I understand your hesitation; just hold on. Here is the dinner I served on Monday night for everyone:

1.) Wild salmon salad

2.) An assortment of whole wheat and sesame crackers (all over >2-3 grams of fiber per serving)

3.) Steamed broccoli

About 75% of my dinners will look similar to Monday night. The other 25% may not be as healthy, but no where near our fair fare. Bottom line. Go to your state fairs people. Enjoy the day. Just do not buy the season pass because that will give you an excuse to return to fried, coated and colored more often than you really should.

About Melanie Silverman

Melanie is a pediatric registered dietitian nutritionist (RD) and a board certified lactation consultant (IBCLC) working primarily in pediatric nutrition for well over 15 years. She spent seven years as a clinical dietitian at The University of Chicago Medical Center in the neonatal intensive care unit, pediatric intensive care unit, adult and pediatric burn units, and high risk pediatric follow-up clinic. She also served as an adjunct faculty member at Loyola University Chicago. Melanie has presented at state and national meetings for the American Society for Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition (ASPEN), March of Dimes, Prader-Willi California Foundation, Texas Prader-Willi Association, Oklahoma Prader Willi Syndrome Association, Foundation for Prader-Willi Research (FPWR) in the United States and Canada and the Prader-Willi Syndrome USA (PWSA). She worked hard for her Bachelor of Arts in Chemistry and Spanish from Indiana University and a Master’s degree in Clinical Nutrition from Rush-Presbyterian St. Luke’s Medical Center. A member of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, California Dietetic Association, Pediatric Nutrition Practice Group, Women’s Health Group, Nutrition Entrepreneurs and an active member of the International Lactation Consultant Association.